Monday, November 3, 2008

What I did yesterday....

So you wanna know what I did yesterday? I got up at 7.30 had a quick breakfast and ran to the bus station to catch the 8.30 bus to Dublin. Four hours later in a sunny Dublin I left the bus and took a taxi to the Knitting and Stitching show in RDS. There, I spent 3 or so hours "suffering" from yarn and all-sorts-of-crafty-things overdose, that I'm still recovering from. I met Aileen working hard in the This is Knit booth, Ger from my local yarn shop - LolaRose, lovely people from the Irish Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers, Craftspun Knitting Wools, Woolfish, Oliver Twists...
I got recruited to the Spinners Guild and managed to find a replacement bobbins for my old spinning wheel. Turns out that a standard Ashford bobbin fits my flyer perfectly, which is great! That means there's no need for custom made bobbins, which are more expensive than standard ones. I will be purchasing few in the neer future. It also means, that an Ashford Lazy Kate will work for me, although I may not decide to purchase one as my DYI Kate works just fine.
I also learned that my flyer is much longer than standard Ashford so there's no hope to replace mine (if something happens to it). At least not with Ashford.
Więc chcecie wiedzieć co porabialam wczoraj? Zerwalam się z lóżka o 7.30, zjadlam szybkie śniadanko i pognalam na dworzec autobusowy żeby zlapać polączenie do Dublina o 8.30. Jakieś 4 godziny później w slonecznym Dublinie zlapalam taksówke do RDS, gdzie odbywaly się targi. Przez 3 godziny "cierpialam" z powodu wlóczkowego przedawkowania i chyba jeszcze ciągle dochodzę do siebie. Poznalam werszcie Aileen, która niedawno rzucila kariere pianistki i zaczęla pracować w This is Knit (nie nazwe tego pasmanterią, bo tutejsze sklepy z welną różnią się znacznie od typowej polskiej pasmanterii). Spotkalam ger z mojego lokalnego sklepu LolaRose, przemilych ludzi z Irish Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers, Craftspun Knitting Wools, Woolfish, Oliver Twists... Zostalam zrekrutowana do Gildii Prząśniczek (LOL) i udalo mi się znaleźć dodatkowe szpulki do mojeko kolowrotka, które pasują idealnie. A to znaczy, że nie muszę zamawiać szpulek robionych specjalnie dla mnie na wymiar, co kosztowaloby mnie dużo więcej kasy. teraz już wiem jakie są dostępne na rynku mi pasują i w niedalekiej przyszlości sobie je zamówię. Znalazlam też Leniwą Kaśkę, która by mi pasowala, ale że mam już jedną domowej roboty, nie będę wydawać pieniędzy na oryginal. Poprzymierzalam też wrzeciona i niestety, Ashford robi swoje zdecydowanie mniejsze, więc jeśli coś się stanie z moim, to nie będę go mogla tak latwo zastąpić. Przynajmniej nie Ashfordem.


Now for the gooddies that came home with me and you all want to see. I was hoping to stash some spinning fibre but unfortunately I was there too late and most of them was sold out already. I did spend a good half an hour at Oliver Twists having hard time deciding which of the lovely silk rovings I like best. In the end I went for a sunny yellow:
A teraz wiem, że wszyscy chcecie zobaczyć z czym wrócilam do domu. Mialam nadzieję na zakup czesanek do przędzenia, ale niestety chyba bylam tam za późno i prawie wszystko bylo już wyprzedane. Pól godziny wybieralam kolor jedwabiu do przędzenia i to jest jedyna czesanka jaka wrócila ze mną do Galway:
At Craftspun Knitting Wools, where I got to try Ashford bobbins, I purchased a kilo of Kilcarra Tweed, which I am a big fan. And boy oh boy, decisions ... decisions ... decisions ... If I could afford it I would buy the whole shop worth of yarn there. I could not decide between teal blue and grass green. Finally this one went home with me:
W budce Craftspun Knitting Wools, gdzie dowiedzialam się wszystkiego o szpulkach do kolowrotka, kupilam kilogram welny - Kilcarra Tweed, którą po prostu uwielbiam. Jak zwykle mialam problem z wyborem koloru, który podobal mi sie najbardziej... ech, decyzje, decyzje, decyzje ... jakby mnie bylo stać, kupilabym ich cala budę. Uprzejma pani pomogla mi wybrać między turkusowym niebieskim a trawiastą zielenią no i wrócilam do domu z tym:

and it will most likely become this:
i najprawdopodobniej zrobie z tego ten sweterek:

Camden.
Click on picture to go to the pattern


Camden. Kliknij na zdjęcie żeby przejść do strony ze wzorem (po ang.)










I was also searching for some huge buttons and I found them in This is Knit:
Polowalam też na wielgachne guziki i znalazlam kilka w budce This is Knit:


and at the very end I bought some fancy paper for card making and few stamps:
a na samym końcu kupilam kilka arkuszy ozdobnych papierów i pieczątki:

Reszta postu dotyczy planów zorganizowania wieczorków z wlóczką i rozpropagowania ETSY w Irlandii. Nie będę już tlumaczyć szczególów, ok?

I had a chat with busy Ger about the knitting group in Galway and there is hope people! As she has moved to a lovely new shop recently, she's thinking about having a late night opening on Thursdays so maybe we could all meet there and have some fun! I'll keep you posted. I think I found another possible place for the Stitch'n'Bitch meetings right in the middle of Quay street, but will have to go back there and talk to the owner at some stage, so that's also WIP.


Oh, one more news for all of you, who live in Ireland and make your own crafty things. If you are interested in selling or are already doing so, there's a new project initiated by Heather (I quote her below) that may interest you. Have you heard of ETSY? No? Well' it's time to change it then.
Etsy is an online venue for selling crafts and supplies by independent craftspeople. You can post and promote your work to an international audience, and handle sales through your selected means, like PayPal or GoogleCheckout, etc.

Go read this discussion on Ravelry and this on ETSY. And visit Heather's blog.
The plan is to:
set up a Crafty Ireland Etsy team. All-Ireland in the rugby sense, a group focused on promoting sales through Etsy and regionally all throughout this island.

Think about it. If you're interested or have any questions you can contact Heather, or myself. It's all in a very early stages of development but I think will be great for all Ireland based artists.

3 comments:

  1. It looks like it was a successful trip to Dublin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ale cudnosci...u ciebie tyle pieknosci,ze dech zapiera i nie wiem co pisac:)...bardzo fajny ten model sweterka do zrobienia:)..zakupy odlotowe no i wrazenia pewnie nie zapomniane z pobytu na tym czyms...(nie znam angielskiego a to po angielsku bylo:))..widac w tobie pasje..czuc...pozdrawiam ania

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6/11/08

    thanks for the links to the etsy group!

    oh that is a heckuvalotta yarn you have there!

    the angle you took it from is hilarious- it's a MOUNTAIN!

    ReplyDelete